MUSHROOMS WITH PASTA, PINE NUTS & PARMESAN
SERVES: 4 | PREP: 15 mins | COOK: 20–25 mins
2 tbsp olive oil
25 g/1 oz butter
2 shallots, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
45 0 g/1 lb chestnut or Portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced, halved if large
1 tsp marjoram
grated rind of 1 lemon
450 g/1 lb dried pappardelle or other wide ribbon pasta
75 g/2. oz pine nuts, toasted
300 ml/10 fl oz whipping cream
6 t bsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley
salt and pepper (optional)
1. Heat the oil and butter together in a large frying pan. Add the shallots and fry over a medium heat for about 2 minutes until soft. Add the garlic to the pan and fry for a further 1–2 minutes until lightly coloured.
2. Add the mushrooms and marjoram to the pan. Increase the heat to medium–high and fry for 5–7 minutes, stirring, until the mushrooms start to release their liquid.
3. Sprinkle with the lemon rind. Season with salt and plenty of pepper, if using. Cook for a further 1–2 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated.
4. Meanwhile, add 1–2 teaspoons of salt, if using, to a large saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Add the pasta and cook for 8–10 minutes, or until tender but still firm to the bite.
5. Add the pine nuts, cream and cheese to the mushrooms in the pan and stir until heated through.
6. Drain the pasta and tip into a large warmed serving dish. Pour the mushroom mixture over the top and sprinkle with the parsley.
7. Serve immediately with extra cheese for handing round.