Beer-Can Cajun Chicken
Prep Time: 20mins + marinating + resting
Cook Time: 1 hour
1 medium whole chicken
1 large can of beer
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons sweet
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Combine all the rub ingredients together in a medium bowl big enough to fit the chicken in. Add the chicken and massage the rub all over the inside and outside of the chicken. Cover and put into the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours.
2. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator at least an hour before you want to cook it, so it reaches room temperature.
3. Prepare the barbecue grill for indirect cooking and preheat to medium-hot.
4. Open the can of beer, remove half of the contents, and then put the can in a beer can chicken roaster (or see tip on right).
5. Place the chicken over the beer can, inserting the can all the way into the cavity.
6. Cook the chicken on the grill rack with the lid on for 1 hour, or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the meat is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife and the center of the meat is no longer pink.
7. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 15 minutes in a warm place before serving.
Love the recipe? Get the book!