BBQ Chicken with Lemon Butter
Prep: 20 mins Cook: 30-40 mins
1 whole chicken, about 3 1/2 pounds
1 stick butter, softened
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1. To make the lemon butter, put all the ingredients into a small bowl and mix with a fork until well combined.
2. Prepare the barbecue grill for direct cooking and preheat to medium-hot.
3. Butterfly the chicken by using kitchen shears to cut along both sides of the backbone to remove it. Next, remove the breastbone that runs down the middle of the breast. Trim off any excess skin and fat.
4. Slide your fingers gently under the skin of the breast and legs to separate it from the meat. Spread 2–3 tablespoons of the butter mixture under the skin. Spread about 1 tablespoon over the outside.
5. Place the chicken on the grill rack, breast side up, and cook for 10 minutes. Baste with more of the butter mixture, turn the chicken breast side down, and continue to cook, turning and basting every 10 minutes, for a total cooking time of 30–40 minutes. Check that the juices run clear when the thickest part of the meat is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife and the center of the meat is no longer pink.
6. Carve and serve immediately.
Love the recipe? Get the book!