THE EVERYTHING BURGER
THIS ALL-AMERICAN BURGER IS FILLED WITH COLORFUL LAYERS OF BACON, AVOCADO, JALAPEÑOS, AND COLESLAW.
PREP TIME: 30 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES |SERVES: 4
4 bacon strips
1 pound fresh ground beef
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for brushing
4 Monterey Jack cheese slices
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
4 brioche buns, halved
pickled jalapeños (optional)
2 large tomatoes, sliced
4 Boston lettuce leaves
1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
salt and pepper (optional)
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 onion, finely sliced
2 red apples, such as Red Delicious, cored and chopped
1/4 cup orange juice
2 celery stalks, finely sliced
1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Put the bacon into a skillet over medium heat and cook for about 8 minutes, or until crisp. Drain on paper towels and break the strips in half.
2. Put the beef into a medium bowl with the salt and pepper, if using, and gently mix to combine. Divide into four equal portions and shape each portion into a patty.
3. Put a large skillet or ridged grill pan over medium–high heat. Lightly brush the patties with oil and add them to the pan. Partly cover and cook for about 4 minutes, without moving, until the patties are brown and release easily from the pan. Turn, place a slice of cheese on top of each patty, partly cover again, and cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until cooked to your preference.
4. To make the coleslaw, put the cabbage, carrots, and onion in a bowl and mix together. Toss the apples in the orange juice and add to the cabbage with any remaining orange juice and the celery. Mix well. Mix the yogurt and parsley in a bowl, then pour over the cabbage mixture and stir.
5. Spread the mustard on both halves of the buns and place a few slices of pickled jalapeños on the bottom half of each bun, if using, and set a patty on top. Then, layer on top of each patty the tomato slices, lettuce, bacon, coleslaw, and avocado slices. Serve immediately.
Love the recipe? Get the book!